Tuesday 5 February 2013

Food ~ Chopped Salad with Fetta, Lime and Mint



~ Food ~





Chopped Salad with Fetta, Lime and Mint



Getting straight to the point today, as the teensy weensy little black flies in my kitchen are driving me to despair, and I must escape as soon as possible to avoid actual insanity! There are four of them sitting on my laptop as I type!  Where do they come from? Why are they here? DIE flies DIE!!!

Now that I have that rant out of my system:

So,  I love salad.  I eat it at least once every day, often twice a day.  Especially in the Queensland heat, this has become an absolute staple. I mostly opt for a crisp green salad with a few extras, a splash of good quality olive oil and a dash of lemon juice.  Classic!

Lately though, I've been researching more interesting options; not only to make the meal a little more exciting, but also to increase the nutritional value.  That sounds super boring I know, but I seriously get excited by seeing the crisp colourful ingredients I'm about to eat.  

This salad certainly fits that description - it's crisp, crunchy and colourful!  It's a little more fiddly and time consuming than your average salad, but the result (I think) is worth it!

I said I would stick to the point - so here it is.  It's based on a salad I found on a food blog that I absolutely love, Smitten Kitchen.  A-MAAAZ-ING recipes are here for you to feast your eyes upon and spend hours sifting through (enjoy!)

Ingredients

1/2 a cucumber
1/2 a red capsicum
Small bunch of radishes 
2 large handfuls of green beans
1 small red onion
Small bunch of fresh mint
Half a packet of soft crumbled fetta (I love Lemnos Soft Fetta...the absolute best!)
1/4 cup of well toasted sunflower seeds
2 small limes
2 tablespoons olive oil
Sea salt
Pepper 

Lets go!

Wash and slice all the salad ingredients very finely and arrange in a bowl.  


Add the deliciously smooth crumbled fetta!


Toast the sunflower seeds for five minutes.  Shake the pan to ensure they toast evenly. 


Combine the olive oil, lime juice and salt and pepper in a bowl and stir through!


Serve it up with something sumptuous!  I lightly fried some chicken pieces with garlic, salt and pepper, then whipped up some homemade Tzatziki (a dollop of sour cream, a few spoonfuls of Greek yoghurt, some garlic, a squeeze of lime and some freshly chopped mint and cucumber).  



Waaa -laaa! 




Happy healthy eating!  

Now... to get my hand on some Turkish delight Easter eggs to go with my cup of tea before they all disappear (that's why I eat salad for dinner right!?)...







No comments:

Post a Comment