Sunday 27 January 2013

Food ~ Mediterranean Lemon Chicken



~ Food ~





Welcome to my blog!  I will be over the moon if anyone else finds this interesting enough to read from time to time, but the real reason I'm doing this is for myself,  -  to keep myself motivated and inspired during 2013.  This is an attempt to fulfill resolutions to use my spare time more wisely, get my brain functioning (two babies and over two years not working equals a lot of lost brain cells!) and to attempt to be more creative with the things I love - food, fitness, fashion and leisure time with my family and friends (frivolity!).  Each post will follow one of those themes.

So, to my first post...

Firstly an introduction to my thoughts on food and nutrition.  I absolutely love food and hand in hand with that, I love to eat!  I am becoming more and more aware that 'you are what you eat', and I am very interested in the health benefits of different foods.  My general eating philosophy  is to avoid processed food, including starchy carbohydrates and sugar as much as is possible, and to eat a lot of fresh vegetables, salads, meats and fish. HOWEVER,  I do love (and need) to splurge from time to time, and this can be more often that I would like! I will be sure to share my indulgences as well as my healthy nutritious options :-)

I also must mention that, with two kids, I am often pressed for time at dinner time, and I like food to be able to be prepared fresh and fast!  Most of my meals usually take no longer than 30 minutes to prepare (just call me Jamie!).

Mediterranean Lemon Chicken

Tired of our standard dinners, tonight I tried a new recipe and I am happy to report it was a total success! I did modify it slightly, which I tend to do.  The recipe that resulted is as follows:


600 grams approx chicken tenderloins
1 red onion
Packet cherry tomatoes
2 lemons
1 medium red capsicum
1 tsp Moroccan harissa
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
olive oil
2 tsp fresh or pre-minced garlic

Chop the onion and capsicum into medium sized chunks and arrange in your baking dish.  Add the chopped basil.  In a separate bowl, mix together the chicken, the harissa, the garlic, the juice of one large lemon, and a generous amount of olive oil.

Add the chicken mix to the tray, and add the second lemon, chopped into chunks.  Drizzle some more olive oil and mix everything through.

Bake in the oven (180 degrees C) for 30-40 minutes, then add the tomatoes and bake for a further 10 minutes.  It could be cooked in a shorter time depending on your oven, but I was lazy tonight and left it in for some time, and it didn't seem to dry out at all.

When cooked, sprinkle with the freshly chopped parsley.  I served it with a simple green salad (spinach, rocket, feta, capsicum and cucumber).  I served it with some rice for the kids.  DELISH!!


Health Tip ~  Red onions contain a high concentration of 'flavonoids', particularly in the outer layers (don't peel off too many layers!).  These flavonoids can help reduce the risk of cancer, diabetes and heart disease.  They also contain a particular flavonoid that acts as a brain-booster!  I think I need to eat many a red onion!  :-)

1 comment: